PARADISE CHRISTIAN UNION CHURCH
Lyon County, KY
Paradise Christian Union Church was built in 1895 on land donated by B. F. Smith, a member of the Smith family which had large land holding within the Demumbers Creek area.
The Church fell into a state of dispair in the 1940's, and in 1951, local volunteers rebuilt the church. Under condemnation procedures, Paradise Church was taken by TVA with the judgement handed down by the US District Court in December 1969. The judgement awarded $3,800 as a "just compensation" for the church and property which included 1.60 acres.
The trustees at the time it was taken were: J. L. Bohannon, Clarence Gentry, Gilbert Woodruff, Wash Pinnegar, and Kenneth Whalen.
Photo courtesy of
©BETWEEN THE RIVERS